Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Frankfort

On Tuesday we left Portage Lake and headed for the Big Lake heading to Frankfort. There was no wind for sailing but the day was beautiful for a boat ride. About five miles outside Frankfort we decided to try our luck at fishing.
We purchased a used rod and reel in Spring Lake along with some "spoons" and a dipsy diver. Everyone knows you need a dipsy diver! Whatever! I couldn't see how that was going to help but the man at the tackle shop said it was the best thing for lake fishing/trolling. So Skip got the pole out, we affixed the dipsy diver to the line along with a spoon (mixed vegetables it was called!) and put our line out. We were in 250 feet of water yesterday so we had to let out quite a bit of line. After making some adjustments we sat back and waited. Fishing is alot about waiting and patience! Neither of which Skip and I do well.
About 15 minutes into this waiting game something hit the line and the reel began to make noise. Well it couldn't be a fish! I mean the line hadn't been out very ling but the line wasn't deep enough to snag on anything. Skip began to reel in the line and pretty soon we could see that we had a fish on the hook! Really!
In my quiet composed way (right) I got the net, gave it to Skip and I took the pole.  It was a team effort to get him aboard.
And of course we didn't measure it and we didn't have a scale to weigh it, but we think it was about 30 inches long and probably weighed 8 to 10 pounds. I did take a picture of it and sent it to Joyce for identification. Then I called Jim to describe it and low and behold we caught a salmon!
Later when we got to Frankfort we bought a book of fish so we could identify our future catches.
So I got my trusty filet knife and went to work. Not to bad for my first attempt but I need to pay closer attention to the real fishermen who do this all the time. Hey Tom and Jim, how about a lesson next week? I need to hone my skills with the knife.
I've attached a picture of our catch before I went to work on him. Needless to say we had salmon for dinner last night. Yummee!
We got settled in at Frankfort, ran a few errands, had a beverage at our favorite watering hole (Dinghy's) and went back to the boat for a nap. Fishing is very hard work Skip said.
We  met Matt, who is a teacher from the Milwaukee, who is crusing the lake  until mid-July. He had dinner with us and we had a great time getting to know him. He is headed to Manitou Island.
So today, Wednesday, we are headed to Leland.. The weather is so perfect right now. Fifteen mile an hour winds out of the South; sunshine; and not much wave action! We're trucking along at 6.9 to 7.5 of boat speed. My kind of day.
Have a blessed day everyone. We'll write more later.
Love and blessings,
Margo and Skip


No comments:

Post a Comment